Dallas, TX US
1. Performs inspections, preventive maintenance and/or repairs to the fuel, ignition, electrical, braking, air conditioning, hydraulics and other systems in vehicles, equipment (including tractors) and on power tools to ensure that city’s equipment is maintained in a safe and operational condition.
2. May perform maintenance and repair of electric carts including battery, charging, lighting, and braking system to ensure safe and operational condition.
3. Trains and serves as lead worker for lower level mechanics to ensure maintenance and repair of city vehicles are performed according to safety and quality guidelines.
4. Use various test equipment like pressure tester, timing light, battery charger, volt meter, a/c leak detectors, Tech 1 (to pull computer error codes) etc., to diagnose problems.
5. Inventories, checks out, checks in, and orders parts and routine items for equipment and tools.
6. Uses welding equipment to repair or fabricate items for heavy equipment, tools, signs, and other equipment.
7. Drives a wrecker truck to retrieve or repair broken down equipment and vehicles in the field.
8. Performs preventive maintenance and diagnoses malfunctions of heavy equipment using electronic or mechanical testing equipment and performs repairs for restoring operational readiness of equipment.
9. Removes, disassembles, rebuilds, repairs, assembles, and installs units such as transmissions, engines, differentials, hydraulic control units, pumps, seals, hoses, clutches, and brakes on heavy equipment using power hoists and other tools.
10. Tunes and adjusts parts and settings to enhance the performance of equipment.
11. Troubleshoots electrical systems and air conditioning systems using schematics to perform repairs as needed.
12. Accurately documents labor hours and parts used in repair and maintenance activities.
13. May perform preventive maintenance and repair on monorail trains to maintain them in operational condition for use by visitors at the Dallas Zoo.
14. Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required to Perform Work:
Thorough knowledge of hand, pneumatic, and electric tools used in automotive repair.
Thorough knowledge of the materials, tools, and principles used in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment such as tractors, compactors, draglines, backhoes, earth movers and other heavy construction equipment.
Skill in repairing hydraulic controls and electrical systems.
Ability to diagnose and plan the repair of a wide variety of mechanical problems in gasoline and diesel powered automotive vehicles and equipment.
Ability to read and understand automotive and mechanical repair manuals used in the repair of automotive machinery.
Ability to instruct and lead entry-level automotive equipment mechanics.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to use discretion in choosing proper tools and materials to perform repairs.
Ability to understand and follow work orders, repair manuals, and other oral and written instructions.
Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.
May be required to have a Texas "CDL Class A" Driver's License or a Texas Class "B" Texas commercial driver's license required.